Professor of Medicine, clinical hepatologist, Director of the UCL Institute for Liver and Digestive Health and the Sheila Sherlock Chair of Hepatology at UCL. I have served in the governing and scientific boards of major international organization in the area of Hepatology and Gastroenterology, and as Associate Editor of top peer reviewed international journals in the area of Medicine. I am currently Editor in Chief of “Fibrogenesis&Tissue Repair”, on open access journal aimed at bringing new acquisitions in the area of fibrogenesis, repair and cancer across different areas of Medicine.
My current research interests are:
1) Cell and molecular biology of fibrogenic disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and intestinal fibrosis in particular;
2) Alcohol and lipotoxicity-induced liver fibrosis;
3) Pathophysiology of cirrhosis and portal hypertension with emphasis on tissue hypoxia, neo-metabolism and neo-angiogenesis;
4) Liver regenerative medicine: from bio-scaffolds to cell re-population with IPSc;
5) Liver stroma and cancer: mechanisms responsible for the development of primary liver cancer, particularly hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma as a complication of chronic liver damage and inflammation;
6) Diagnostic and prognostic tools for the assessment of the rate of progression of advanced chronic liver disease.